What to know when moving to Arlington
Get an Online Quote
"*" indicates required fields
Whether you are moving to Arlington or any other city or state, it is challenging. But at the same time stressful and exciting as well. You have to think about a lot of things and before you move. Plan and consider everything so you can have a successful relocation. Think well through every important step. If you are having a lack of time for this, check out moving companies Arlington how will help you with the whole relocation. Check our tips and trick on how to organize your relocation and what to think about before moving to Arlington.
Things you should know before moving to Arlington
Arlington is located in the northern part of the state with a population of 236,842. The unemployment rate is low, and there are a lot of Federal Government workers settled in this beautiful city. You will also find jobs in healthcare, retail, telecommunications, and technology due to its diverse economy. Here are some things you should know when moving to Arlington!
- It’s pricey – The cost of living is 154 percent of the national average. Houses cost about three times the norm.
- Great school systems – Education is a top priority and public schools are nationally recognized for high achievement and graduation rates. 72% of the population has a bachelor’s degree or higher. There is an excellent community college in the area, called NOVA which has the reputation of being better than many four-year colleges.
- Traffic is terrible – Traffic in the Washington, DC area can be some of the worst in the nation. When it comes to Arlington, the traffic tends to spill across the Potomac and affect the people living in Arlington. Especially those who travel into the District for work.
- Excellent public transportation – On the other side from the terrible traffic, it has a great high ranked public transit system. The Virginia Railway Express (VRE) runs through Arlington, stopping in the Crystal City neighborhood. It connects the DC metro area to places further south in Virginia, running all the way down to Spotsylvania on the “Fredericksburg Line” and to Broad Run on the “Manassas Line.”
- Great place for biking – Bike lanes are common in Arlington’s streets.
- Moving to Arlington means healthy living – Arlington is a very health-conscious area, having been ranked one of America’s Healthiest Communities. It is also full of great options for healthy dining.
Finding the right apartment before moving to Arlington
Finding the right apartment is not an easy task at all. You have to do your homework, as in research all the options and possibilities. That will of course fit in your budget. Arlington has one of the most competitive real estate markets in the entire United States. Which brings us to a wide variety of property types. In the neighborhoods along the Potomac river, condominium properties are very common. People who want to live in Arlington can also find single-family homes or townhouses to purchase. The availability of each property type depends largely on the neighborhood.
If your preferences are to be close to a Metro stop, your home search will probably turn up a lot of condominiums. But if you and your family want to make sure you have a yard, you should look towards a single-family home.
After choosing your home, whether an apartment or house it is time to also check them in person. During the first visit of your potential new home keep your eyes wide open. Look good at every inch of it. Open the closets, check to counterparts in the kitchen, run the fossettes. Make some notes about every apartment or home that you visited. It will help you make the right decision about relocating to Arlington.
Since the demand for apartments in Arlington is high at the moment, you should consider preparing all the paperwork in advance. Such as:
- Credit check documents
- Money and checks for the deposit if you find the right deal
- References for employment
Packing your stuff
If you are moving for good, maybe you won’t be needing all of your clothes and furniture too so you can find a way to get rid of the unnecessary things:
- you can sell them on the internet
- recycle them
- donate the things to charity organizations
- or you can just store them for a certain period and Excalibur Moving and Storage service can help you with that
Reliable moving company
Last but not least, when moving to Arlington is to find a reliable moving company. If your friends won’t help you with your relocation, that is. Which is not an easy task. This is a crucial thing for many reasons. Besides the fact that you are moving, which is stressful by itself, you don’t need additional stress whether your belongings are going to be damaged, lost, or stolen.
That’s why it’s preferable to have insurance just in case your stuff gets damaged or lost. You should specify the type of insurance in case your things get damaged or lost, will they be repaired, replaced or are you going to be reimbursed. Keep in mind that the best time to book movers is between September and April. Since the pace of moving is not that high as between May and August. Which also determines the price of this whole experience.
Don’t stress about unnecessary things and follow this moving guide to make your relocation and new start smooth and full of joy.